Monday, March 2, 2009

Seedling Update!

Well, they sprouted already. I planted my seeds on Thursday and by Sunday, all the rows of kale and broccoli had sprouted. You really have to keep your eye on those suckers. They come up really fast! I was kind of disappointed that my spinach and cherry tomato seeds didn't sprout before I had to take the flat off the heat, but that's the thing about nature - things don't always go according to your plan.

They're now under my new grow light apparatus, 16 hours a day, and are doing great. Even my spinach and cherry tomato seeds finally sprouted. It's strange being so in tune with an ecosystem. Every day after school, I check on my seeds - my nose, just inches from the soil in the flat, closely inspecting for new growth and interesting changes. The other day, I noticed that the plants at the end of the rows were leaning in towards the light. If they could pick up their roots and move right in directly under the light, I think they would.

In other news...my seeds came this week! It's so exciting. I can't wait until spring - only 16 more days.

I also found a cool new garden blog written by another fellow garden nerd. Yes, I am totally a garden nerd - I just bought the same soil thermometer that she talks about in her most current post and I am thrilled to start using it. :) Check it out. It's called Diggin Food.

No comments: