Thursday, February 26, 2009

Snow Day = Garden Fun

Today, I spent my snow day off of school (yes, another one) taking care of things I've been needing to do with my garden. I started new seeds in the flat I got from my Tilth class. My first batch of seedlings, the ones I started in the class, had to be sacrificed...but not in vain. I learned a lot from my first try. Number one, as soon as you see any green sprouts, you need to take them off the heat right away and get them under the light. That means that you better have your light system ordered, delivered, and set up before you sow your seeds. They sprout quickly! I got my grow light system yesterday, so I'll be prepared this time. Today, I planted Spinach, Dinosaur Kale, Cherry Tomatoes, and Broccoli. Stay tuned to find out how this round turns out.

I also placed an order for seeds today. I spent $70 on the following seeds: 
  • 1/4 gram of Basil-Spicy Globe
  • 3 grams of Bright Lights Swiss Chard 
  • 1 gram of Champion Collards 
  • 1 gram of Ching-Chiang Pac Choi (a.k.a. baby Bok Choy)
  • Costoluto Genovese Tomato (Heirloom Variety #1)
  • Pineapple Tomato (Heirloom Variety # 2)
  • Tiffen Mennonite Tomato (Heirloom Variety #3)
  • 1/2 gram  of Green Deer Tongue Lettuce
  • 1 gram of Green Slam Cucumbers
  • 1/2 gram of Jericho Lettuce
  • 1/2 gram of Merlot Lettuce
  • 1 gram of Napa Carrots 
  • 1 oz of Nash Beans (Good old green beans)
  • 1/4 gram of Red Chidori Kale 
  • 1 oz of Romano Gold Bean
  • 3 grams of Sungreen Squash (zucchini) 
  • 3 grams of Superpik Squash (yellow squash)
  • 1 gram of Talon Onions (yellow storage onions) 
  • 3 grams of Waltham Butternut Squash 
I also bought a few flowers to attract some friendly, pollinating insects:
  • Lobelia-Crystal Palace
  • Alaska Apricot Nasturtium
  • Empress of India Nasturium
I still need to buy my potato starts (fingerlings and purple potatoes), strawberries, more rhubarb, and herbs (oregano, thyme, rosemary, and cilantro). I know it seems like I went a little overboard, but this whole thing is about growing food and I have to buy the seeds some time if I want to do that. Plus, I could have easily bought more (that seed catalog is very enticing), but I was conservative and only bought vegetables that I actually like to eat and buy often. 

Finally, after I placed my seed order, Jake and I went to the Seattle Conservation Corps office in Magnuson Park and bought 2 green cone composters for my house. Once the snow melts, we'll install them and I can start composting, instead of tossing my food waste into the yard waste bin for Cedar Grove. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Cedar Grove compost, but if I can contribute to my own supply, I'd rather do that. After all, that's what this whole project is all about. 

1 comment:

radhi said...

whoa, another snow day?! i have sweet dreams of coming back to seattle and having all these tasty veggies over glasses of red & white wine with you. can't wait!