Thursday, April 9, 2009

Early Birthday Presents

Actually, it was a Christmas present from Bette - a gift card to Molbak's in Woodinville. Molbak's is an amazing nursery/garden mega-store. I felt like a kid in a candy store when I finally made the trek over to the east to spend my loot. The card was intended to be for a super cool banana tree that I had seen when I was with Bette, but I kind of went in a different direction. The one area of my garden that I have not yet completed is the herb garden. Jake requested rosemary (which is actually a shrub) and I really wanted to grow a bunch of oregano, thyme, mint, dill (thanks to Amy for the seeds), basil, and chives. So, I decided to use my gift card to purchase more edibles to round off and compliment my already-growing garden. Not only was I able to buy all the beautiful herbs in the picture, I was also able to buy two beautiful over-sized terra cotta pots and two blueberry plants! They are going to be perfect in my front yard. I've had this empty space in one of my front yard beds that I've been wanting to fill with something, but wasn't sure what. It will be the perfect spot for my blueberry plants (I bought two since that encourages fruit) because of the sun it gets and the space there is for them to grow. I won't actually have fruit for a few years (they need to establish themselves), but I already feel giddy every time I look out my front window and see them. Plus, the information I got from the nursery says the foliage turns a deep red in the fall and since they're near my red Japanese Maple, the yard will look even more beautiful in the fall. Plus, all the plants are perennials, so it's really the gift that keeps on giving. Happy Birthday/Merry Christmas to me!

No comments: