Saturday, October 31, 2009

Pumpkin Carving Party

I think I mentioned in my last post that I'm a big fan of Halloween. I love it all, especially the harvest bounty all around me at the farmer's market and in my garden. I think this might be one of the greatest times in the season - when we're still eating the bumper crop of tomatoes and peppers from the summer and also feasting on cool weather treats again like lettuce, peas, and chard. Need I mention the bounty of delicious winter squash? You know how much I love butternut.

So, when Jake and I decided to host a pumpkin carving party again, it was an excuse to plan a fall-themed local and seasonal party spread. It was interesting when I thought back about what snacks I had at our last carving shindig, complete with candy corns galore and a cauldron of punch - corn syrup delights. I don't mean to knock the typical Halloween party fare, but at that time, the thought of what ingredients were in those foods or how many miles they had traveled to get here never crossed my mind. So now, my party planning mind was in a different space - time to get creative and crafty with the seasonal foods around me.

The preparations for this Sunday afternoon get-together began on Friday. I roasted two sugar pie pumpkins and made pumpkin puree, which I later used to make pumpkin bread. I saved the seeds and had Jake roast them for snacking at the party. Then, on Saturday, I got dough mixed together for baguettes and soaked a pot of white beans.

Finally, on Sunday, in a frenzy of chopping and baking, everything came together.I baked the baguettes and then sliced them up with fresh farmer's market carrots, a red bell pepper, and a chocolate bell pepper. I served them on a platter with Moroccan carrot dip and white bean dip (the biggest hit of the party). To satiate a sweet tooth, I made carrot oatmeal cookies and pumpkin bread. Then, I put my green heirloom tomatoes to use by making cornmeal-dusted fried greed tomatoes.

To top it off, Jake made mulled wine. It was delicious and cozy.

Jake and I scored two huge organic jack-o-lantern pumpkins at the Ballard farmer's market for five bucks a piece. They were perfect for carving and have been a lovely addition to my porch this week.

Thank you Hollis Rendleman (one of my fabulous OntheDouble(dutch) teammates) for taking so many amazing photos.

No comments: