Sunday, March 28, 2010

The path of least resistance

A few months ago, I wrote about spending an afternoon conjuring up a beautiful plan for a wild flower path that leads to my backyard garden. The idea came to me while listening to an amazing Master Gardener lecture about organic gardening – all the talk about attracting beneficial insects to your garden, like bees, must have gotten to me. Originally, I thought I would install the flagstone path myself (read: Jake would have gotten sweet talked into installing it). I also thought I would use the sheet mulch technique to turn the uneven sod into organic material-rich beds along the pathway, but upon closer inspection of the area, it would have required much more tilling and digging than the sheet mulching would have accomplished. Since Jake's got his hands full building our chicken coop and I would like to get things planted and established this spring, I decided to get some help with the project.


With a new fence installation and a little landscaping, this once neglected part of my property got a face lift and new life. The path turned out absolutely amazing, and I really don't think I could have done the same work myself. Plus, now that the infrastructure is in place, I can focus my attention on the part I really like – the planting! Next week, during my school's spring break, I plan on transforming this blank slate into an inviting, meandering corridor to the garden out back. Stay tuned to see the transformation.


On another note, after finding Penny perched on top of the waterer multiple times last week, I thought it was time to install a roosting bar perch in their brooder. I just cut a wooden dowel to size and stuck it through the two notches I made in the sides of the box. It took them a while to get used to it – most of the time they just walked over it back and forth. I tried to set them on the bar and help them balance, but they didn't seem to appreciate my little tutorials. In the end, Penny finally got the idea and I caught her sleeping on the bar. At this point, it's a little advanced for Lucy and Ethel – they mostly just walk over it and sleep around it. But I think it's only a matter of time before they're copying Penny and are perching on it too.

3 comments:

Meg S said...

That's gorgeous, Stacy! Congrats. I'm officially envious.

Carol Whitaker said...

Wow Stacey. Love that fence and path. What a wonderful canvas to show your creative spirit. Glad the "girls" are doing good.... seems like you're getting the hang of this mother hen role! : )

radhi said...

gorgeous!