Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Spring has sprung!

Today I celebrated the arrival of spring. The forecast called for sunny skies and temperatures near 70 degrees, so I decided to take advantage of the lovely weather and longer days by doing some after-school spring planting. Last week, we put another big chunk of lawn to use by building a new raised bed in the front yard. It's 4o square feet of gardening goodness. So, to break it in, I planted 40 strawberry plants today, or 10 beautiful squares. I know it seems excessive, but I decided that I'd actually like to see a crop of strawberries this year, rather than eating the one or two that appear on random strawberry plants around the yard. Plus, strawberry plants will last for three to four years, so they're really the gift that keeps on giving!

When I was driving home from the nursery this afternoon, I thought to myself, it's officially spring and I actually have spring chickens! So I dyed a half-dozen beautiful farmers' market eggs in their honor. In this month's issue of Sunset, I read that dying brown eggs can result in amazingly vibrant colored eggs. Confirmed. And then, as if things couldn't get any better, I had a beautiful ceramic egg carton to put them in. Thank you, Claudia, for the most adorable chicken-gift ever.

No comments: