Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Some things I've learned along the way

Roasted butternut squash, sauteed swiss chard, and mixed grains
If only this picture looked as good as the squash and greens actually tasted!

I've discovered a few things about myself this week through my new food journey.
1. I actually like Brussels Sprouts. My dad said he wanted to see that in writing - so here it is. I sauteed the Brussels Sprouts I bought at the farmer's market with a little bit of onion and olive oil for about 5 minutes or so, until they tuned bright lime green and yellow. They were AMAZING! I loved them! My dad, a long-time mega-fan of Brussels Sprouts, was floored by my new reaction to the little cabbage-looking vegetables. I normally turn my nose up at them, but I don't think I'll be doing that anymore...at least not with Brussels Sprouts like these. 

2. I LOVE butternut squash. The squash I roasted for dinner was so delightful, it felt like eating pumpkin pie for dinner. Seriously - it is SO good! Roasting squash is super simple. I just peel it, scoop out the seeds, cut it up into 1-inch chunks, toss it in a little bit of olive oil, salt, and pepper, and put it in a shallow baking pan and in a 450 degree oven for about 20 minutes. Then, I mix the roasted squash chunks with some walnuts (which I toast a little in a dry pan on the stove) and some shredded Pecorino cheese (not local, but I've got to finish up the last little chunk I still have before I go all out). It is super good! I'm lovin' winter squash season. 

3. Turns out, I actually do have the will power to resist snacks in the staff lounge. Before I started this new food resolution, I would poke my head into the staff lounge every time I went to make a copy, just to see if there were some yummy, junk food snacks I could munch on. That's why I don't buy junk food, because if it's in the house, I'll eat it. I always thought I didn't have the will power to resist the temptations. But I'm finding out that I do. It's not that I'm trying to be rigid or deny myself certain things. It's that I'm actually being mindful about everything I put into my mouth and it makes me realize that I must not have been doing that all the time before. Don't get me wrong - any one who knows me well, knows that I have been quite a healthy eater for years. But now, instead of just trying to make food choices with my health and figure in mind, I am choosing to eat foods that I know about. I know where all the food that I ate today came from. I also know what went into the foods that I ate because I made them, rather than eating overly processed foods with ingredients I don't even know how to pronounce. And I'm having a great time with my food. Jake said today, "The coolest thing about this whole food thing is that you're totally stoked all the time." He's right. 

1 comment:

radhi said...

looks so tasty and veggie-licious!! have you looked through 101cookbooks.com? i just made this butternut squash millet the other night (http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/mark-bittmans-autumn-millet-bake-recipe.html), and it was amazing. it's been my lunch all week! that cooking website is my absolute favorite! i think you'd love it, and all your home grown goodies would be so tasty! love you tons!