Monday, December 1, 2008

Stacy's growing what?


Three years ago, I decided to grow some of my own food for the first time. I broke ground in a previously unused (except by weeds) bed on the side of my house and planted 4 vegetables from seed: green beans, carrots, rainbow chard, and scallions. To my delight, my seeds actually sprouted and I had my first taste of a vegetable right out of the ground. I was hooked. 


The next year, I planted the same vegetables again and added strawberries.

Finally, this summer, I upped the ante again, ready to try my hand at some new crops. I expanded into the bed in front of my house and even planted a few vegetables and herbs in some containers in the back. This time I grew green beans, rhubarb, chard, zucchini, cucumbers, tomatoes, strawberries, basil, and chives. By the end of my harvest, I was already planning which vegetables I'd plant again and which ones I'd add to my collection next summer. An enthusiastic urban gardner was born.  

It's probably not surprising to find out that now I have started making plans to push back the fence in the backyard to make room for another 4- 6 raised beds. Jake has agreed to build these beds for me to make room for all the new vegetables I plan to plant this spring, including broccoli, corn, potatoes, winter squash, salad greens, and pumpkins. I started reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barabara Kingsolver and was inspired to take this vision one step further. 

I made a resolution to start eating locally and seasonally as much as I possibly can. I am making a commitment to myself and my community to grow/make as much of my own food as I can and buy what I can't from my local farmer's markets.

So, what's the bottom line?
  • I get to eat a plethora of delicious fruits and vegetables when they're fresh and in season (yep, no more cucumbers and tomatoes until they actually grow and ripen on the vines in my yard this summer).
  • Jake and I get to continue the "Sunday Night Dinner" tradition with even more reason to find recipes that showcase the amazing seasonal bounty we find at the market or in our own garden.  
  • I see where my food came from and talk to the farmers that grew it. 
  • I get to have experiences at the farmer's market unlike any others (like being convinced by a farmer to try a raw Brussel sprout right on the spot because they're so delicious. But I thought I hated Brussel sprouts? Hmm.....).
  • I am more motivated and inspired to make food that I used to buy, like bread and cheese. Maybe it's not so difficult after all.
  • I get to think outside of the box and be creative when it comes to planning meals and lovingly replacing old standards, like hummus and berry crisp in the middle of winter.
I have started a "New Years" resolution that will not fall by the wayside come February. I am making a resolution to continue expanding a way of life that I have slowly been cultivating for the past three years - a life full of good health, beautiful plants, and delicious meals.

3 comments:

Rachel Mae said...

Can't wait to come to your house for dinner :) Go Stack Go!!! AVTN

radhi said...

this makes me miss you even more! i'm glad your blog was born...i love it. and you TONS!

Jaxx said...

You are an inspiration to us all...what an awesome New Year's res...love you much!