Sunday, December 7, 2008

Week Two



So, I think I went a little overboard with the cooking this weekend. I have pretty much been cooking all weekend. This new food focus is like a new craft, a new medium to experiment with. The weekend started with one main goal: I really wanted to puree a couple pumpkins to make some pumpkin butter. But then, one thing led to another and this is what happened:
  • I got a happy little free-range chicken to roast for dinner on Saturday night - delicious!
  • I tried out a new brussels sprouts recipe and made a loaf of home-made wheat bread to go with the roasted chicken (and an extra loaf of bread to give to Rachel and Gabe). 
  • I roasted 2 small pumpkins and spent an hour trying to puree them in several batches in my blender. Let's just say the button on my multi-speed blender that says "puree" doesn't really do what it claims very well. I can't wait to get a food processor! Jake and I are going to go in on one for Christmas. It's the one critical kitchen appliance we're lacking and if I'm going to keep pureeing things, I'm really going to need it. 
  • After pureeing the pumpkin, I put it in a strainer lined with cheese cloth and left it over night to let the water drain out. 
  • Then, on Sunday morning, I made a batch of pumpkin butter, which turned out amazing! I've got several jars in the freezer now to keep me satisfied for a while. 
  • I roasted all the pumpkin seeds for Jake since he loves those. 
  • I used the extra pumpkin puree to make a delicious loaf of pumpkin bread. It's a new recipe that I found on a food blog that Radhi steered me too (Closet Cooking). I made it without the cranberries and chocolate, but it was still super good. I think it might replace the pumpkin bread recipe I usually use. 
  • I simmered the carcass from the Saturday night chicken to make chicken stock for when we need it. And since I was at it, I made some veggie stock too. 
  • Finally, I whipped up a couple pizzas for dinner with home-made whole wheat pizza crust, chard, and caramelized onions. I already can't wait for lunch tomorrow. 
I'm not really sure what's come over me, but I'm lovin' my extra-curricular chef activities and now I have lots of great food to eat all week. So far, week two of my food resolution isn't looking so bad. 

1 comment:

radhi said...

WHOA!! all your food sounds delicious! you're a machine! now i REALLY wish i was there to enjoy it with you!