Saturday, April 24, 2010

City Goats

It was Seattle Tilth that made me aware of city goats, first on the chicken coop tour and then at their display at the Northwest Flower and Garden Show. If you have a big enough lot, you can actually keep a mini-goat in the city. They have a class called City Goats 101, which will tell you all about it.

I do not plan on getting goats. I'm still trying to get Jake to support my bee hive idea. But I do think they're adorable. And they're also pretty efficient weeders – you can actually rent goats to nibble away at your unwanted vegetation.


So to satiate my goat desires, Jake, who knows me so well, bought me a (metal) goat for my birthday. As I mentioned before when I wrote about the metal rooster I bought for my garden, I love rusty, metal garden art! So now, we have this amazing white, metal goat grazing under my Japanese Maple in the front yard. Jake joked that this substitution for the real thing went over so well, he should look into buying me a metal beehive. I don't think that will have the same effect. Sorry, Jake!

3 comments:

radhi said...

what a perfect birthday present! go jake!

Emde said...

I've wanted mini-goats for awhile now, but have never figured out how I'd work it out with the amount of traveling I have to do. When I was down in SC visiting Max's family, a farm near their house had goats we'd go and feed. There were two babies there that I wanted to steal and bring back with me so badly.

Maggie

Michael said...

Hi,

This post is very important because it has content which is useful to all.

Thanks,
Green Certification