Saturday, April 17, 2010

Taking stock

This week has been a hectic one for me. So rather than rush around my garden today, trying to accomplish a million different tasks, I decided to walk around with my camera to take stock of what's been happening in my little urban oasis since spring arrived.

The lettuce and spinach bed that I planted under a cloche on February 20 is ready for its first harvest! It won't be the biggest salad of the season, but it will be delicious. I can't wait to eat super fresh spring salads again! Isn't that speckled lettuce from Territorial's Cascade Harvest lettuce mix the best?

And my peas sprouted! I planted pea seeds in February with the lettuce, but they never germinated. I think they were too old. I probably should have taken Willi's advice and tested my seeds for viability. I bought a new pack and sowed some pea seeds (Territorial's Super Sugar Snap) again on March 25. And this week, they finally sprouted. Looks like we may have snap peas this spring after all!

The rhubarb (those big leaves in the middle of this bed), which I thought had died, came back with a vengeance. My raspberry canes are vibrant green and thriving. And those little green shoots that look like onions are just a few of the heads of garlic I planted around the yard last fall. They've overwintered and are just about ready to harvest. This is my first time planting garlic, so I can't wait to see how it turns out!

Last, but not least, this bareroot peony 'Shirley Temple' that I planted in the fall survived and is actually growing! I really don't know a thing about peonies besides the fact that I love when they make an appearance on fabric and think they're beautiful in Pike Place Market bouquets. But this fall, I got carried away ordering seeds for my winter garden and ordered a bareroot peony too. Truth be told, I actually planted two, but only this one survived. So this afternoon, when I realized how big it had gotten, it literally stopped me in my tracks. I just can't believe it's working!

No comments: