Thursday, April 8, 2010

Garden Gem: Great Plant Picks

If you haven't heard of Great Plant Picks yet, I'm here to tell you about this fantastic resource! It is a list of plants that work great in maritime northwest gardens. They provide you with beautiful pictures and information about the plants' sun needs, growing habits, and hardiness. I used this resource to do some research before buying some plants for the beds that were recently exposed when I tore out the ivy and put in a new front fence. The plant lists I printed out were actually my saving grace when I was at the nursery because they kept me focused on my agenda... sort of. Did I mention I have no will power when I'm at a nursery?

I chose the striking Hosta 'Sum and Substance' for under my Japanese maple. It just doesn't get enough sun for the lawn and moss is taking over, but I think the hostas will love the shady space.

I also planted some accent grasses, Acorus gramineus 'Ogon' (Golden Variegated Sweet Flag). It has beautiful yellow-green blades that contrast with the Blue Oat grass I plant everywhere. I just can't get enough of the decorative grasses!
*Pictures courtesy of GreatPlantPicks.org

No comments: