Saturday, May 23, 2009

The broccoli is coming!!!

For weeks now, I have been contemplating my broccoli "trees", wondering if they would ever bare fruit. I have four broccoli plants that I started inside in February that just keep getting bigger and growing more and more huge leaves. I can say for sure that I have learned that you need to plant those babies in the back or they'll shade any other plant trying to grow. So today, I was out in the garden, thinking about sacrificing a broccoli plant or two to make room for something else that would be more productive. When suddenly, I spotted the beginning of a broccoli - finally! I was so excited to finally see a bud that I ran in the house to get my camera and my phone to call Jake to tell him the exciting news. To say I was excited would be an understatement. Jake asked me if we should throw a shower from my baby broccoli. I'm so attached to them, that might not be a bad idea.


Finally, I wanted to post a before and after set of pictures of my purple potatoes. Technically, the "before" picture is not actually the first picture since when I planted them, you couldn't see the sprout. As I described before in an earlier post, I have been following a container method that involves filling up the container, little by little, as the sprouts grow. I have been mounding potting soil around the sprouts as they've grown and now, as you can see, they have finally reached the top and the 10 gallon container (trash can) is completely full. Now, I've just got to wait for the plants to turn brown and die off so I can harvest.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You can pick off some of the broccoli leaves, but the "bunches" like the shade the leaves provide. And what a great idea for a bucketful of potatoes.