Sunday, May 10, 2009

I got lots done in my garden this weekend. The moon was in Scorpio, a super productive sign, so, I had to jump into action. Also, it's finally May - the soil is warmer, the danger of frost has passed (at least I think it has), and it's time to get everything into the ground. It's funny to think back to last spring when I just planted everything all at once in April during spring break - not because it was good for the plants, but because it worked into my schedule. This weekend, I planted my cucumber, zucchini, delicata squash, and butternut squash seeds. I also planted all of my dahlia tubers. After all, I have to have some beautiful flowers to cut for bouquets in my garden somewhere. I dug up the dahlia tubers I planted last year and saved them for this season. We'll see what blooms.

Finally, I bought two heirloom tomato plants at the farmer's market. I decided that the seeds I tried to start inside are just not going to make it this season. I got them started too late. I do have cherry tomato plants in my garden now that I started from seed inside in February, so I guess I didn't do that bad with the tomatoes after all. I'll do even better next year.











I reclaimed a beautiful pot for one of the tomatoes that had been taken over by a root-bound, half dead shrub. I originally intended to transplant it, but my dad and I had to practically destroy it to get it out of the pot. Actually, it was my dad that did most of the grunt work to get that sucker out. Thanks Dad!












I got to do the fun work of planting my new tomato plant. As you can see, Beans likes to be involved whenever possible. He had to check out the compost that was going into the pot. The tomato is called a Japanese Truffle Heirloom. It's an indeterminate (vining tomato), so I got a square cage to put over the pot for it to grow into. And, do you recognize that cute little mosaic marker? The one I made when I was going crazy for my garden in a snow storm? It's finally getting put to use. Yes!

No comments: