Sunday, May 24, 2009

My Day in Food

Jake and I got the day started off right this morning with a new recipe for Oatmeal Cinnamon Waffles that I have been wanting to try. We harvested some rhubarb, which Jake whipped up into a yummy compote to put on our waffles.

Then, I baked two loaves of bread, which I made from a recipe in Nancy Baggett's book, Kneadlessly Simple, a book of no-knead bread recipes. I heard about her book during an interview with her on NPR and since I love making no-knead bread, I had to have this book. This recipe was the first of many I plan to try. I'd like to try and make a new bread recipe every week. I started making it yesterday morning, let it rise for more than 20 hours, and now have two delicious loaves of bread. I love it! I'm going to make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches on the bread to take on our hike tomorrow.

Speaking of hiking, when I looked in my recipe binder (a binder I started to store all of my favorite recipes and the ones I want to try) for the waffle recipe, I dusted off an old recipe for home-made energy bars that I have always wanted to try. I made them this afternoon for us to take tomorrow. They're fantastic! Way better than the brand name, processed ones.

Finally, I stumbled across another great recipe in the binder for "tea-dressed greens". I steeped two green ginger tea bags in 1/2 cup rice vinegar for 20 minutes. Then, I took out the tea bags and whisked in 3/4 c. canola oil, 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard, 1 teaspoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt. I dressed some fresh greens from my garden with this tangy dressing and topped it with a few slivered almonds. They only thing that would have made it better would be thinly sliced pear. Delicious.

No comments: