Monday, May 11, 2009

I heart Heidi Swanson!

If you've been following my blog, you already know that I love butternut squash and became somewhat obsessed with the amazing recipes I discovered that featured the squash. Well now, I think the same thing is happening with asparagus. I've never been anti-asparagus, but I am really just now discovering how amazing it is and part of that is because I've been making some incredible dishes with it. Here comes the big shout out to Heidi Swanson, her amazing cookbook Super Natural Cooking, and her blog 101 Cookbooks

Tonight I made part of a recipe from one of her books for an asparagus spinach "pesto" that is super delicious. I can't get enough of it. You just put the asparagus stalks from one bunch (trimmed and cut in half) into a pot of boiling water for about 3 minutes. Then, you put the just-tender stalks into a food processor, with a couple handfuls of spinach (which I harvested from my garden again tonight), 2 cloves of garlic, some olive oil, a squeeze of lemon juice, and a little sea salt. Puree and serve. I left the Parmesan and pine nuts out and it still turned out amazing! And it's super good for you too! 

Then, I made a recipe she recently posted for Carrot Oatmeal Cookies. They are really low in super and are delicate and flavorful, especially because they are made with coconut oil. Not an egg or stick of butter required. So yummy!

Finally, while I was waiting for my last batch of cookies to bake, I read the latest post by Willi Galloway on her blog, Diggin Food, titled Slightly Obsessed Gardening. I immediately connected with her sentiments. Anyone remember my post titled "Baby Pictures"? And just yesterday I was telling my grandma that it's just a matter of time before I start replacing my lawn with more beds for veggies. I think I've created a monster...  

No comments: