Sunday, May 3, 2009

You grow girl!

There has been a lot of growth happening in my garden lately. My onions and carrots starting sprouting, my potatoes are growing, and my kale and spinach are going crazy. I harvested spinach again this week and this time the leaves were the size of my hand. Jake and I ate kale from my garden on Thursday and it was amazing. Super flavorful with nothing but a little olive oil and salt. Inside, I finally had my heirloom tomato seeds sprout. I think I might have started those too late, but I'm going to try to grow them anyway. It can't hurt to try, right?




I'm growing my potatoes using a strategy I learned from Gayla Trail's book, You Grow Girl. I bought a galvanized steel garbage can and drilled drainage holes in the bottom. Then, I filled it up about a third of the way with soil and buried my potatoes (little purple potatoes that I got from the farmer's market that had sprouted) about three inches deep. According to Gayla, when the potato vines start to grow, I should fill the container with more dirt, creating a mound of dirt around the vines. I continue that way until I fill up the container and the plant starts to mature and then turn brown - the sign that let's me know the potatoes are ready to harvest. I'm not really sure how the whole process works yet, but I saw some green in my potato container so I "mounded" some more dirt around them. We'll see how that goes.




Finally, Jake and I had a rockin' dinner tonight with asparagus galore. Roasting asparagus is easy and super tasty. You just heat the oven to 425 degrees, coat the asparagus in olive oil, put it on a baking sheet, and shake it around periodically so that it gets evenly cooked. Tonight, I put the bottom pieces in first since they're thicker than the tops and take longer to cook. It tastes really good when they get a little crispy. Then, I made a little asparagus/spinach (yep, from the garden) pesto, inspired by one of Heidi Swanson's recipes in Super Natural Cooking. I blanched about 9 asparagus sprigs in boiling water until just tender. Then, I pureed them in the food processor with a handful of spinach, one clove of garlic, some olive oil, and a little lemon juice. It was delicious! Who knew eating cheese-free "pesto" could be so good.

No comments: