Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Now that's what I'm talking about!

You may remember me saying (here) that I probably wouldn't be growing broccoli again after my first stab at it last year. I grew broccoli from seed last year, which I started inside, and for all the time I put into nurturing them, they just didn't seem to give me enough bang for my buck. But then, this April, my neighbor offered me a pack of nine broccoli starts (Packman variety) because she bought too many. Since I would never turn down a free plant, I graciously accepted them and put them into a few open squares in my raised beds. Well, besides two plants, which I lost to cabbage maggots, the plants have really thrived, surprising me with several large heads! I harvested a few for the first time this season and they were delicious! I prepared them by cutting them up into small florets, tossing them with some olive oil, salt and pepper, and roasting them on a baking sheet for about 10 minutes at 400 degrees. I served them on a bed of Jake's fresh pasta with a little olive oil that I warmed and flavored in a saute pan with some fresh, slivered sage leaves. Needless to say, after tonight's meal, I may need to reconsider my decision. This vegetable is just too good to abandon.

1 comment:

radhi said...

a w e s o m e!!!! never abandon my favorite veggie! and i can't wait to try jake's fresh pasta one day!