Friday, July 30, 2010

Seed Saving Class, this Saturday!!

It's not too late to sign up for the Saving Seeds class at Seattle Tilth, which will be held tomorrow, Saturday, from 10am to 12am. I stumbled upon the class listing in a Seattle Tilth e-newsletter this week (not sure why I didn't see it earlier) and faxed my registration just yesterday. Unfortunately, because of low enrollment, it might not actually happen. And that would be such a bummer! It is being taught by the author of the book Edible Heirlooms, which you might remember hearing about in this post. I saved my own tomato seeds last year for the first time and I've got to tell you, it's the coolest thing to have tomato plants flourishing from them this summer. I think the class will be super interesting and informative! You should join me!

Here is Seattle Tilth's class description:

You can grow vegetables from your own seeds. Save your favorite variety, make your plants truly local, perpetuate and pass on heirloom varieties and save a bit of money in the process. The class will cover pollination types, how to choose your seed plants, how to hand-pollinate, how to save seeds using dry and wet methods, and how to harvest and store seeds.

Bill is the author of the recent book “Edible Heirlooms: Heritage Vegetables for the Maritime Garden,” which tells the lore and cultivation of more than 100 heirloom varieties of favorite home-garden veggies.

No comments: