Thursday, July 29, 2010

I heart summer!

Oh, summer! How I love thee! Let me count the ways!

I love peach and blueberry pie!


I love how happy the chickens get when they graze on the sun-kissed lawn.

I love leaving the car at home and riding my shiny new bike for business (trips to the market) and pleasure (jaunts down the boardwalk at Alki).

I love the amazingly beautiful blooms that adorn my new pathway and love the bees that visit them!




And I love enjoying fresh basil and the first zucchini from the garden!

Zucchini Basil Pizza
Adapted from Local Flavors.

This recipe is almost too simple to post, but I want to share because I just devoured way more of that pizza than I should have. I used the pizza dough recipe from Deborah Madison's cookbook, Local Flavors. It always turns out amazing!

homemade pizza dough
1 medium zucchini, cut into thin slices (about 1/4 inch thick)
8 or 9 large basil leaves, slivered
Chevre
olive oil
red wine vinegar
salt and pepper

Preheat the oven to 500 degrees. Roll the dough into a circle and place on a pizza pan.

Place the zucchini slices and slivered basil leaves in a bowl. Drizzle with olive oil and a couple splashes of vinegar. Add salt and pepper to taste. Toss zucchini until well coated.

Brush the dough with olive oil and spread the zucchini slices on the dough, covering completely if there's enough. Dot the pizza evenly with crumbled, fresh chevre.

Bake for 15 minutes. When the crust is golden, remove from the oven and brush the outer crust with olive oil. Cut into wedges and enjoy!

4 comments:

Meg S said...

The girls are so big!!

Kate said...

yay pie!

radhi said...

holy chickens! when did they get that big? and you rode all the way to alki?!?!?!

Morgan M. said...

i know this is a random person commenting on your post but i have two chickens that look identical to yours! I have an Buff Orpington chicken and an Americana chicken and their names are Pearl and Daisy!