Saturday, July 31, 2010

Simple Pleasures

Sometimes, the littlest things make me so happy. Like this reclaimed wood caddy I got at Red Ridge Farms in the Willamette Valley. I filled it with a bunch of differently sized tin cans my dad's been saving for me. I lined them with plastic, punched drainage holes in the bottoms, filled them up with potting soil, and used them to pot up the little broccoli, kale, chard, and bok choy seedlings I started a few weeks ago. I filled the smallest ones with chives. Now, every time I go through the front door, I see them and smile.

Now, I've got to talk basil. Maybe I missed the boat and everyone already knows this, but I just learned that putting freshly harvested basil in a jar full of water is the best way to store it until you're ready to use it. I used some basil the other day that had been in the mason jar for a week and it was still vibrant and just like new. This has been a simple, but amazing discovery! I've always had a hard time harvesting and eating all the basil I grow before it starts to flower, but now, I know I can harvest it and keep it fresh for a bit until I'm ready to use it. Plus, it makes a beautiful bouquet! Right now, I have a jar of fresh picked basil next to a larger jar of huge dahlia blooms from the garden and it's the best centerpiece I've created in awhile. And it smells great too!

1 comment:

radhi said...

i've done that, and it still wilts after a day or so.. do you keep it in the fridge or out?