Monday, July 12, 2010

What's a barbecue without the mustard?

It has been so sunny and beautiful lately. I love summer in Seattle! And to make things even better, I've got time off to do all my projects. So, I've finally made a couple of recipes from the super cool book, Jam it, Pickle it, Can it. I made mustard!

To make this classic barbecue condiment, I mixed together organic yellow mustard powder, sugar, vinegar, and salt. I let it sit in a cool, dark place for two weeks and just in time for my dad's birthday barbecue, the mustard was ready!

It's delicious – tastes like dijon honey mustard. The consistency is a little odd. It's thick like peanut butter, so you have to spread it with a knife. I spread it on the crust before baking the delicious Romanesco cauliflower tart with carmelized onions I made for dinner tonight. I was raving after every bite!

Tonight, I made the recipe for ketchup. It has to sit over night, but judging by the taste I had while it was simmering, it's going to be delicious too. I had no idea mustard and ketchup could taste so good!

1 comment:

radhi said...

you made your own mustard!!!? yummmmm!! i wanna try!