Thursday, July 15, 2010

Tin Can Lanterns

I've got art on the brain for some reason. This may be obvious, considering my last post and the newly added page to this blog, The Art. It's just such a big part of my garden and my life, it's gotta be part of this blog. So, my latest endeavor to beautify my space has been to create more garden lanterns.

I started creating mason jar lanterns last year after reading this post of Willi's. I put lids on the jars in the fall to keep the rain out of them and they held up just great through the winter. Of course, I don't light them during the cold and rainy winter months, but they make me happy just seeing them hanging in the trees. They keep me thinking about the sun that is soon to come.

This year, I've moved on to tin cans a la Martha Stewart. And I love them! They are just so precious and easy to make. Plus, they're green – transforming recyclable tin cans into functional art!

Just rinse out the can, fill it up with water (leaving about 3/4 of an inch of space from the top), and stick it in the freezer until frozen solid. The frozen water helps the cans keep their shape. Then, using a variety of nails to create different sized holes, pound a design into your can with a hammer. Don't forget to add two holes near the top on both sides of the can for the hanging wire. I forgot to do that on the first one and when I tried to pound them in later, I completely dented the can. Now it's resigned to be a table lantern.

I used some thick, but pliable wire to create simple hangers and used my needle nose pliers to bend a spiral shape into the ends of the wires, a feature that also keeps the hanger attached to the can!

I have the tin can and mason jar lanterns hanging all over the maple and apple tree out front and when they're all lit, it's the most welcoming and cozy sight I've ever seen in the city. Makes me feel like I should have a porch swing!

1 comment:

radhi said...

OMG! i looooove this! i wanted to do something similar, but this one tutorial i saw made it look so complicated! thanks so much for your clear and easy tutorial! yay!